October is National Energy Awareness Month, and this year the USGBC-LA Sustainability Executive Roundtable (LASER) has partnered with MeterLeader, one of the USGBC Net Zero Accelerator startups, to put on a Home Energy Challenge from October 1 – November 30, 2022.
During this two-month challenge, we’ll help you track your home energy usage compared to last year and provide tips and resources to help you reduce your energy usage and carbon emissions. Better yet, those who reduce their energy usage the most will win prizes.
Starts: October 1 – November 30, 2022
Individual Goal: USGBC-LA is challenging employees who are LADWP, SoCal Edison, SoCal Gas, and SDG&E customers to reduce carbon emissions stemming from their home energy use (electricity AND natural gas) from October 1 through November 30, 2022 by at least 10%.
Group Goal: We are also challenging everyone to achieve the group goal of 30,000 pounds of CO2 reductions. This is the equivalent of carbon sequestered by about 16 acres of US forests in one year!
Prizes: The Top 5 participants who reduce their carbon emissions by the greatest percentage will win prizes and another 5 winners will be awarded prizes based on a lottery system. Every 1% of CO2 savings gets a lottery entry.
Eligibility: Must be a primary account holder of an active residential LADWP, SCE, SoCalGas, SDG&E electric or electric and gas account for at least 1 year. See complete Challenge Rules here.
How It Works
LASER is using MeterLeader to run its Home Energy Challenge. MeterLeader is an online platform that gamifies saving energy at home by integrating real-time utility data and behavior science principles. They are like a Fitbit Challenge, but instead of steps their website measures kWh, therms, and carbon emission reductions. Learn more about how MeterLeader works.
Participating in the LASER Home Energy Challenge is quick and easy. To get started follow the steps below:
- Create Account – Create a MeterLeader account using your email address.
- Connect Utility – Connect your LADWP, SCE, SoCalGas, and/or SDG&E online utility account(s) to your MeterLeader account.
- Join Challenge – Join the LASER Home Energy Challenge
- Save Energy – Once the Challenge starts, do your best to start saving energy at home. You will receive weekly energy saving action emails to help you identify all the ways you can save energy at home. The Challenge page data will be updated daily so that you can see how you are progressing toward goals. The leaderboard will display your percentage change in energy use as compared to your baseline energy use from October – November 2021.
- Win Prizes – Once the Challenge is over, we’ll announce who the winners are!
See MeterLeader’s FAQs if you have additional questions.
We will dive into this topic in more detail in our next posts. But for now, here is a quick primer. Participating in LASER’s Home Energy is a win-win-win for you, your company, and the planet. By participating in the challenge you will:
- Identify the various ways to save energy at home
- Learn about how to electrify your home
- Have a better understanding of how much energy you are using on an hourly, daily, and monthly basis
- Save money on your utility bills
- Help reduce carbon emissions stemming from your home energy use
- Help motivate others to reduce their carbon emissions
- Help your company reduce its Scope 3 Carbon Emissions
- Help the US reduce its residential sector carbon emissions
Have questions about the challenge or how to participate? Leave a comment below or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org!